We're pretty certain this week you rushed to iTunes to download the security-patch-update-only for iOS 4, you know, the one that renders jailbreak.me unworkable. Sure you did. Since Mobile Safari handles PDF files so wonderfully in the first place (cough cough, GoodReader), you open them up all the time and needed to be safe against bad script action. Right? Right? Are those crickets or did someone switch our ringtone again?
- 25 Awesome Safari Extensions - We must admit: we have loved Firefox since the days even before it was called Mozilla. Everything about it was better than Internet Explorer from the get-go. By the time Safari showed up, we were pretty locked in with our extensions on Firefox, and Safari's lack was a dealbreaker. Well, Apple noticed this and finally came around to the idea of extensions. Like everyone else's user-created content, 25% is garbage, 50% duplicate ideas, and 25% are sheer genius. Care to guess which ones we highlighted?
- 20 Cool Reasons to Hack Your Apple TV - Sure, it's only "a hobby" for Apple, so it isn't as fully featured or as wonderful as it could be, which is what we're here for. Consider this the jailbreak for Apple TV and check out the fun you could be having if Cupertino would put some money behind this baby. NES simulator? Got it. Couch internet surfing? We're on it. Want to get yourself some Boxee? Done and done.
- How To Keep iPhoto From Launching When You Plug in an iOS Device - This one's pretty easy actually, but you'd be surprised how often we get asked this question. Apple, this is annoying and shouldn't be default behavior. But we'll show you just how easy it is to stop the madness.
- How To Replace the Power Adapter for a G4 Aluminum PowerBook - If we'd answered the specific question asked, we could have retitled this one "How to Possibly Burn Your House Down." If you have the electrical chops to replace a power adapter, you wouldn't be asking. Since you're asking, our advice is for you to buy a new one.
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Review - Have you been waiting over a decade for this one, hoping, praying, dying for the chance? Well, have we got news for you. Good things -- no, excellent things -- come to those who wait. While it lacked one major feature (LAN), the gameplay and graphics were fantastic enough to overcome that. Let's just hope we don't have a 12 year wait for that as an update.
- iOS Game Time: Sports Edition! - August 11, 2010 - Yadda yadda yadda, filler filler filler, MADDEN MADDEN MADDEN is iPAD'N! What we will do just to get our football on has to be read to be believed. Ponies. Seriously. Not joking here. Now if you'll excuse us, our passing game needs a little work. If you need us, we'll be up at 4am, drooling and going for one more long bomb.
The media all want to make Papermaster the whipping boy for Antennagate (and we're sure Cupertino is fine with that), but the real story is a little more nuanced, naturally...speaking of stories that the media loves to flog, did you hear the one about the iPhone coming to Verizon? You did? Really? There were only about seventy gajillion stories about it last month and the month before and the month before...that rumor made a nice barnacle like fit to other rumors such as AMD on Apple TV and new form size iPads, because everyone likes a good Apple rumor...like the one about Texas Instruments and ARM teaming to make processors that will smoke your current handset hardware...and if your current iPhone 4 starts to smoke when you hold it "that way," this Israeli software company says you're probably getting a good dose of radiation. Uh oh...good luck getting your hands on one anyway, seeing as how the handset remains rather elusive at Apple's Retail Stores...it's not exactly Family Feud, but survey says that college age students in the U.S. have a special place in their heart, and guess what? It's Apple shaped...maybe it's because of the college deals Apple offers or maybe it's because of the sleek gaming iPhones offer or maybe it's something else about that demographic (cue segueway music!)...now we're not saying iPhone users are promiscuous, just that we get a lot more action than the Droid dorks. Hey, when you carry sleek and sexy products, you have to get used to people undressing you with their eyes...maybe it's the gyroscope that interests people so much; they just want to get their hands on our devices and roll around with them--ahem...geez, speaking of being on a roll, after that "slide to unlock" article, everything about the iPhone seems to make us think naughty thoughts; well, rest assured, the only movie we'll be making on our iPhone 4 will be family-friendly.
On the heels of that last questionable series of innuendos, we offer up for iOS users the largest and most expensive iDevice peripheral: a massage chair...and once multitasking is enabled for the iPad, what could be better than kicking back in your massage chair and watching all those Xvid-encoded videos you are too stressed to convert to MPEG-4 or H.264? Just about nothing, we're thinking...and if this rumor of the iPod touch getting in on the Retina Display action, we're thinking those fantastic graphics for the iPad that would be a thing of beauty, literally...of course, not that you'd want to stream the latest crop of Netflix films to your iPad, as they've picked up exclusive rights to run such hits as The Pink Panther 2 (they made a sequel?)...in the realm of actually popular stuff, Ngmoco has just pocketed a nice 3-5 million bucks from Google Ventures, proving that while the romance might be over, Google still wants to be friends-with-benefits on iOS devices...speaking of wanting to be on the iPad, multibillionaire Troll doll replica Rupert Murdoch is planning to launch an iPad-only newspaper app...which obviously means everyone else is going to have to get in the game, and Slate is already champing at the bit...these are, of course, smart moves, as the iPad is becoming THE go-to reading device, in homes that have one...of course, tablets of this kind are only going to grow, and we have to admit, we're kinda smitten with Axon Haptic's Hackintoshtastic new device. Get a load of those specs! Yikes, though. Get a load of that price tag. We will love you from afar, Axon Haptic!