We're now three weeks out from the alleged Apple media event during which the next iPhone (or iPhones) may be revealed, and news of a model that comes in gold really has us scratching our heads. Flower power iMac aside, Apple has generally been a tastemaker over the years, but we're definitely not among those who will be lining up for a gold smartphone. Any readers excited about this one?
Ever find yourself thinking that there's something fishy about Apple's performance in China? Apparently you're not the only one, as Taiwan's Next Media Animation released a video mocking their mainland cousins' government, state-owned media, and trumpeting of domestic brands over foreign ones in response to what they call "the Apple iPhone electric shock scandal."
As if near-constant news about faulty smartphones and peripherals weren't enough, apparently Apple users in China have to worry about scalpers selling appointments to the Genius Bars at local Apple Stores as well.
It turns out it's not just Apple products that have been involved in tragic incidents in China lately. As reported by Gizmodo, a man in Hong Kong was simply playing an app on his Samsung Galaxy S4 when the device allegedly exploded. After he threw it across the room and under the couch in panic, the fire spread and caused some massive damage to his apartment.
We know you'll be sad, but your trusty recap writer is taking a sabbatical for the next two weeks. Fear not -- MacLife.com readers will be in good hands during our absence, and there will be plenty of great content to enjoy while we're away! For that matter, here's a handful of news to close out the work week with, and we'll see you back here on Tuesday, August 13!
While the iPhone 5 remains Apple's top seller and an updated version appears to be on the way this fall, the three-year-old iPhone 4 is quietly becoming the little smartphone that could, particularly in emerging markets.
Apple is in hot water with the Chinese again, this time over the death of a 23-year-old woman who died last Thursday after answering her iPhone 5 while it was charging and was allegedly electrocuted as a result.