It turns out it's not just Apple products that have been involved in tragic incidents in China lately. As reported by Gizmodo, a man in Hong Kong was simply playing an app on his Samsung Galaxy S4 when the device allegedly exploded. After he threw it across the room and under the couch in panic, the fire spread and caused some massive damage to his apartment.
If you've been buying ATG-branded replacement batteries for the MacBook Pro from Best Buy either directly or via the Geek Squad, you might want to check if any third-party batteries you've bought there have been getting a little too hot lately. Best Buy announced a recall today on 5,100 third-party replacement batteries for Apple's popular notebook after the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported 13 incidents in which the batteries went up in flames. In one case, the fires even caused serious leg injury.
Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry are demanding a response from Apple Japan on the reports that overheating iPod nanos have caused at least 27 incidents in the country. The Japanese iPod nano owners left the iDevice charging for so long, that the battery pack became too hot and began sparking. There have been six different fires and four people burned as a result of this mishap.
An iPhone 4 owner recently discovered an undocumented feature of the new device: it can apparently burst into flames and burn your hand. Later on, the owner of the charred device took it to the AT&T store, where the remains of the device were photographed. Apple has confirmed that the iPhone 4 in question had a faulty USB port that caught fire when the owner connected it to their computer.
For those obsessed with the very real, and very frightening, theory of spontaneous combustion. This story provides all the proof you need to become a recluse shut-in that consumes ten times the daily recommended amount of water and to wrap yourself up in ice packs. KABOOM!